It takes just two rounds in the pan for these plantains to transform into an irresistibly crispy-but-soft snack. And a dreamy dip with plenty of zip is just the right ticket. . . to paradise.
NOTES: This recipe may sound involved, but is actually quite easy if you're comfortable frying at home. To make tostones you need to "double fry," meaning that after the first round, you'll pull them out to flatten, and then return them to the oil to finish cooking (trust us it's necessary and worth it!). For a lower-fat dip you can substitute regular mayo for light mayo, greek yogurt, or sour cream. The recipe says a "pinch" of cayenne, but you can add more if you like it really spicy. Finally, we used Frank's Red Hot for this recipe but you can use any hot sauce you like. Just keep in mind that the one you choose will affect the overall flavor of the dip.
FOR THE SAUCE:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. brown mustard
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. horseradish
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
Pinch of cayenne
1.Whisk all ingredients together in bowl, making sure to completely dissolve sugar
2. That's it!
FOR THE TOSTONES:3 medium or 2 large plantains
Neutral frying oil like canola or avocado
1. Peel and slice plantains width-wise into 2" pieces
2. Fill a cast iron skillet or dutch oven with about 1/4" of oil and heat on medium high until the temperature reaches 325 degrees
3. Fry the plantains in batches, cut side down, making sure not to crowd the pan. Then flip. About 2 1/2 minutes per side
4. Remove plantains and place on a paper towel to drain. Turn your burner down to keep the oil hot but not burning. Try to maintain the 325 degrees.
5. Using the bottom of a glass, gently press down and flatten each plantain piece to a 1/2" thick
6. Move your smashed plantains back into the fry oil and fry again for 45 seconds per side
7. Place your finished plantains on a paper towel to soak up excess oil and immediately sprinkle with kosher salt
8. Serve and enjoy!
Stay in touch for more of Hither Lane's tasty bites to complement Shaker & Spoon cocktails!