A seasonal staple when the fresh produce at your market is at its brightest! This salad—great as a side or substantial enough an an entrée—brings bold grilled flavor and freshness to the party, served right alongside The Floral Guards cocktail from Shaker & Spoon's Summer Scotch 3 box.
NOTES: If you don't have a grill you could roast & toast the ingredients in an oven, but a grill is recommended since the char flavor is a big part of what makes this dish so special and summery. Make sure you use a very crusty and well-toasted bread—traditionally panzanella was made as a solution for what to do with day-old or stale bread. The vinaigrette rehydrates the toasted bread so you don't want it to have any softness before it goes into the salad. You can use stale bread just make sure it's not so hard that you can't safely cut it.
For the Salad:2 medium zucchini
2 large yellow onions
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange)
1 baguette (or your favorite very crusty bread)
8 oz. fresh mozzarella (pearls or torn into small pieces)
8 oz. ripe cherry tomatoes, halved (about 16)
3 ears of fresh corn
A big handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
Hither Lane Everyday Vinaigrette (recipe included)
Kosher salt & pepper to taste
For the Vinaigrette:1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
In a mason jar, shake it up
1. Add all vinaigrette ingredients to a mason jar and shake until emulsified (or in a bowl with a whisk.) Set aside
2. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and set aside
3. Cut your zucchini in half lengthwise, quarter your peppers, shuck your corn, & slice your onion into thick rounds (all should be cut large enough to not fall through the slats of your grill)
4. In a large bowl, toss all vegetables in olive oil until lightly coated & season liberally with salt and pepper
5. Grill veggies on medium heat until cooked through, well charred, but not mushy (zucchini & peppers about 12 mins, corn & onions about 18)
6. Slice your baguette lengthwise & grill for a minute or two on each side until you see good grill marks & it's very toasty
7. Cool everything down so it's cool enough to handle and start to cut into similar sized pieces (cut the corn off the cob, cube zucchini, peppers, & bread into 1-2 inch squares) and place in a large bowl
8. Add in tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and vinaigrette and toss to coat everything evenly. Serve & Enjoy!
Stay in touch for more of Hither Lane's tasty bites to complement Shaker & Spoon cocktails!