A Jamaican-inspired gem of a dish to be presented in grand showstopping fashion. It's well spiced, sweetened with pineapple, and a colorful, craveable companion to all three of the cocktails from Shaker & Spoon's Born to Rum: Jamaica box.
NOTES: This recipe may feel like a lot of ingredients & steps but it's deceptively easy to make. Making your jerk seasoning, rice, and preparing your pineapple in advance will keep the kitchen less chaotic & allow you to focus on the cooking part. For our vegetarian guests, we made a DELICIOUS tofu version, prepared exactly the same way—just subbing out the chicken for extra-firm tofu.
For the jerk seasoning, thoroughly mix together:
1 tablespoon of each: garlic powder, onion powder
2 teaspoons of each: cayenne, salt, black pepper, dried thyme, brown sugar,
1 teaspoon of each: paprika, allspice
1/2 teaspoon of each: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clove, cumin
For the sauce, thoroughly mix together:2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon brown sugar
The juice of 1/2 a lime
3 tablespoons juice from the pineapple (after scooping out)
For the meal:1 pineapple, cut in half lengthwise
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced into small strips
1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup jasmine rice, cooked
Canola or vegetable oil for cooking
Green onion for garnish
1. Score the flesh (see photos) about 1 1/2 inches deep & use a spoon to pull out the pieces, discarding the core and saving the edible fruit pieces in a bowl
2. Using the spoon, scrape out the remaining juice and fruit until you've hollowed it out into a bowl. Set pineapple chunks aside & reserve 3 tablespoons of the juice to make the sauce
3. In a large skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil on medium-high heat
4. In a large bowl, toss chicken strips in 2 tablespoons of jerk seasoning & 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until completely coated
5. Fry chicken pieces in batches for about 2 mins per side (avoid crowding the pan)
6. Remove chicken and set aside to drain on a paper towel or cooling rack
7. In the same pan, add peppers, onions, & a little salt, sauteing until tender, about 10 mins
8. Add the sauce mixture to the veggies & bring to a simmer. Simmer for two mins until sauce thickens slightly
9. Add the cooked chicken & pineapple chunks, tossing together until everything is coated in sauce
10. Lay down a bed of rice in the pineapple bowls & top with chicken, veggies, and sauce. Garnish with green onion & enjoy!
Stay in touch for more of Hither Lane's tasty bites to complement Shaker & Spoon cocktails!