Tea time—this one spent sipping a deliciously dainty and citrusy cocktail—just got a lot more flavorful. These cookie/cracker hybrids have a decidedly savory edge with just enough sweet for balance and, with open arms, they welcome in a round of Bear Hat cocktails from Shaker & Spoon's Speakeasy Box.
NOTES: These super savory bites are a mix between a cookie & a cracker. You can use either blue cheese or gorgonzola (we used a nice sheep's milk blue from our local farmers' market). For serving, a sweet topping helps to provide a perfect balance. We recommend orange marmalade, fig spread, or apricot preserves. Keep in mind that this dough needs to be chilled. You can make the dough the night before baking & leave it in the fridge overnight or make it day-of. Just make sure you allow at least 1 hour for chilling. Prep time is 75 mins. Cook time is 15 mins. Makes about 16 shortbreads.
INGREDIENTS1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
4 oz. good blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar for rolling
A few turns of fresh cracked pepper
Recommended but optional: Orange Marmalade for serving
1. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine room temp. butter, crumbled blue cheese, and cracked pepper until well mixed (about 30 seconds). No need to over mix, small chunks of cheese are ok
2. Add flour and chopped pecans and mix until crumbly & fully combined (about 30 seconds)
3. Turn your mixture out onto wax or parchment paper & use the paper to roll the dough into an evenly distributed log shape
4. Refrigerate dough log for at least 1 hour
5. When dough is fully chilled, gently roll it in sugar to lightly coat the exterior
6. Slice your dough log into 1/4 inch thick rounds and bake for 25 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees or until lightly browned on the edges
7. Allow to cool completely before serving & enjoy!
Stay in touch for more of Hither Lane's tasty bites to complement Shaker & Spoon cocktails!