Grill season is getting underway. How can you resist kicking it off with this zesty and healthful partner to the highly crushable Peachy Keen cocktail from Shaker & Spoon's New Frontiers 2 box?
NOTES: Shrimp cooks very quickly and peppers can take a little longer if you like them cooked through. We like the peppers to be charred but still a bit crunchy, which is why we cooked them on the same skewer. For more cooked-through peppers, stack peppers and shrimp on separate skewers and leave the peppers to cook a few minutes longer on the grill. If you don't have a grill you can use a broiler for this recipe and place skewers on an oiled sheet tray with the oven rack placed 6 inches from the top. Broil for 6 minutes for jumbo shrimp or 5 minutes for large.
INGREDIENTS16 large, deshelled and deveined raw shrimp
5 tablespoons peach preserves
1 tablespoon whiskey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon each of kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder
A pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Jalapenos (if you love spicy) or sweet bell peppers for the skewers (or both), sliced into shrimp-sized pieces
Preheat grill or broiler to medium-high heat
1. Thoroughly whisk together all ingredients except shrimp and peppers to make the sauce in a large bowl
2. Set aside a few tablespoons of sauce for a final glazing after cooking
3. Toss shrimp & peppers in the sauce to coat
4. Build your skewers alternating shrimp and peppers
5. Spray or brush your grill with a neutral oil and grill skewers for 2.5 minutes per side, until the shrimp is pink and the peppers have charred and slightly softened
6. Serve skewers on their own as an appetizer or with rice as a meal
Stay in touch for more of Hither Lane's tasty bites to complement Shaker & Spoon cocktails!